Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Things Banned from Schools

I thought this video was funny. It talks about different things that have been banned from schools throughout the years.


I remember when I was in elementary school, some things that were banned were slap bracelets and the game "mercy." Both of those have a legitimate reason for being banned: they can hurt someone and slap bracelets were just distracting to begin with. I think Red Rover may have been banned as well because too many people got hurt.

It seems like most of the things banned from the school where I teach are dress code-related. Mohawk haircuts, for example, are against dress code. I still haven't figured out how we are supposed to enforce that, though, and since I don't find mohawks that distracting to other kids in the class anyway, I don't really bother enforcing that rule. Also, do you remember those shoes that light up whenever you hit them? Well, now they have shoes that are similar, except instead of lighting up, they play Hannah Montana music. Now those really are distracting! Sometimes there isn't much I can do about that, either, if the office doesn't have an extra pair of shoes that fit the kid.

Can you think of anything strange that was banned from your school when you were a kid? Is there anything strange banned from the schools where you teach?

No comments:

Post a Comment